Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why don't you just stick your foot in your mouth?

I tend to put my foot in my mouth all the time, it happened more often always in the U.S. because people are usually more careful about what they say due to the obsession with being politically correct and the worry that you accidentally offend someone. However in Israel, most people are rather blunt and while they would offend people outside of Israel, most Israelis pay no attention to it. But what happens when you're an Israeli who's trying to say "the right thing"? Usually, you end up putting your foot in your mouth. 

Case in point, last Wednesday when I was at a tapas bar with two friends, let's call them friend A and friend B, and our waiter was trying to console friend A after she said it's difficult finding an Israeli guy. Now this is something I  disagree with because in my opinion, Israeli guys make their intentions quite obvious to girls. So obvious that if I had some of my top adjectives to describe Israeli guys are flirty, easy, and slutty.

So the waiter tells friend A, "You're a beauty, that's why it's difficult for you." Now of course the waiter might say this just to get a nice tip, but the truth is friend A is very attractive. So the waiter goes on again about how Israeli guys are intimidated by such beautiful girls. I was expecting the waiter to say that "beautiful girls, like you all (since there were three of us sitting there)," but he didn't. He said how guys will approach other girls, less attractive girls. So according to this logic, I have a boyfriend because I'm easily approachable and I'm easily approachable because I'm unattractive. "So wait, we're ugly?" I ask the waiter. 

He says, "Oh no, of course not." He can tell that he said something wrong, so he tries to make up for it.  "It's just that you're both friendly looking, you know, you smile. She doesn't smile." So now the waiter has gone from calling friend B and me unattractive to then calling  friend A unhappy and unfriendly. At this point, it's in his best interest  to stop talking, but he's Israeli so he just continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment