Saturday, May 21, 2011

Knock knock, it's your potential...

From the time that we're born we're told that we have so much potential and our family, friends, and educators repeatedly remind of us of this potential throughout our lives. "You have the potential to be a great..." or "I just don't want to see you waste your potential". The latter example usually comes into play for those who decide to act "somewhat rebellious" during their youth. I don't actually recall anyone saying that one to me but I definitely recall hearing the first one, "Suzanne, you have the potential to be something really amazing (or to do something really amazing)."

I'm a little bit up in arms with this idea of potential. What does it mean anyway? And who determines when someone has finally reached their potential or surpassed it? It all just seems a little too mythical to me, as if a fairy whispered some secret about my potential to my parents right after I was born and they told it to all the teachers and other family members around me. And all the time afterwards when these people referred to my potential they had some secret idea of the meaning behind it. 

I wish that at some point in my youth I had asked them, "and what exactly is this potential?" Because they wouldn't have a decent reply. They might say something vague like "to be the best you that you can be." But how silly does that sound. And I could have replied, "And what is the best me? Also, what are the steps that I need to take in order to become the best me."  Of course I was told that I would get closer to reaching this potential by doing well in school and going to a good college. After this you might be told about getting a good job and raising a family, but is that really all your potential adds up to? If you ask for more information, all you hear in response is dead air because the people that are telling you about your potential really don't know what it means either. They can't look in the future and tell you what will make you a great person, just as you can't. 

Knock Knock

"Who's there?" I ask.

"It's your potential." 

"ooo how can I reach you?" I ask.

"I'm right behind the door." Potential says.

"But the door's locked and I don't have a key. How can I open the door?" I ask.

"Beats me." Potential says.

"Can I call a locksmith?" I ask. 

"Nope. I'm told you're supposed to figure this out on your own. Good luck, honey." Potential laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment