Saturday, January 15, 2011

If I could do anything...(without worrying about money)

The other day I was reading about the highest jackpot winners in the world and I asked the people around me at work, what would you do if you won $5,000,000. It's important that's it's $5 million and not some ridiculous amount like $20 million. Imagine you're left with 5 million after taxes, what would you do? Would you crazy, buying everything you ever wanted in your life: a fancy car, a big house? Would you travel around the world in style? Would you donate any of your money to charity?

I know I would travel a lot more and not such expensive travel, a simple clean and decent hotel is all I'd need in each new place. And I would save the money, because you can live for 50 years with $100,000/yr. I'm sure I'd make some more money at some point, but I don't think my needs will be so high unless I was supporting a family completely on my own. I would also volunteer a lot more and learn how to cook really well. But as a job, I would just write. I don't care if anything comes of it, but I know I would want to write short stories, plays, blogs, a novel, articles because that's what I'm passionate about and yet I hardly do it.

It's a fear that builds up inside me that stops me from sitting down at the computer and just writing. But I love it and part of me is so afraid because I feel like I've lost it, the ability to properly express myself in words. And I'm so afraid that this is true, that I continue to ignore the blank page or go beyond writing one page at a time. So maybe the $5 million is just an excuse. If I had that money, I would write. But I can write anyway, a little bit each day, just so I will satisfy this desire. And I think I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment