Monday, January 24, 2011

me vs. me

Just a question: would 16 year-old you like you?

 I'm thinking that she (16 year-old me) would be very confused by me. But then again 16 year old me is very different from today's me. 16-year-old me was much more fascinated with England than Israel and for some reason today's me likes Israel much more and realizes how miserable I would have been if I lived in England. Seriously, who can live in a country without sun? And where it rains all the time? I get upset when I walk into my office's kitchen because it's the one room in the entire office that doesn't have any natural sunlight. But this isn't really 16 year-old me's fault because she for sure wasn't aware that she probably has SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and in case you're wondering this is a self-diagnosis. I mean but for god sakes I live in Israel and still it's not enough sun for me when winter comes along, even though there isn't even a real winter here.

But back to the issue at hand. 16-year-old me was a Jewish feminist, something I no longer am. She was funny as hell (we tend to think of ourselves in a more positive light when we're reflecting), she was smart, and she was extremely motivated to accomplish her dreams. Okay so maybe this isn't all true. The truth is that she was obsessed with doing well in school and had one major goal which was to get into a college she really wanted to go to  and to continue writing. So I guess 16-year-old me wouldn't completely hate me because I did go exactly where I wanted to go for college and I studied creative writing. And I loved it! But then something happened.

 The years between being 22 and 24 flew by. I can't quite recall what happened. Yes, there was that whole move to a new and foreign country. That one kind of distracted me for awhile, but what else did I do? Oh yes, I started supporting myself completely, which to be quite honest isn't as gratifying as it seems. Actually it kind of sucks. I totally wish someone was financially supporting me now so I could do everything I wanted to do because part of me still doesn't know what I want to do. I'm actually quite convinced I had much more direction and practicality and idealism when I was younger. So yes, I'm a bit disillusioned. Hmm 16-year-old me, help me! Where are you? Tell me what to do next. You were so much better at problem solving than today's me is. You were also much better at math- kudos to you for getting an A in Calculus. You're totally awesome 16-year-old me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment